Printing; drivers (Linux), CUPS (Common UNIX Print System)
VariCAD supports any printers that are installed in the Linux operating system. If any printer is not available in VariCAD, install the printer to your Linux operating system using CUPS server. The following installation routine is recommended:
1) Install the CUPS package to your Linux operating system using the following command (example for Debian distributions):
sudo apt-get install cups
2) Open your browser and go to the following URL:
3) Add the particular printer LPD/LPR or a local printer and connect it to the CUPS server - an example for Linux Mint distribution can be found here:
Print a test page to make sure that the printer works flawlessly.
4) Check whether the file /etc/printcap exists in your file system and if it contains the added printer.
5) If not, create the link manually using the following command:
ln -sf /var/run/cups/printcap /etc/printcap